Paul Usoro, SAN, is the Founder and Senior Partner of Paul Usoro & Co. Mr. Usoro is a Senior Advocate of Nigeria. He has over 35 years’ experience and is acknowledged as a highly experienced litigator and Nigeria’s foremost communications law expert.
He has advised a wide range of blue chip Nigerian and foreign companies in the areas of project finance and development, equity raising, infrastructure development and management buy-outs. He has served as the Chief Legal Consultant for Nigeria’s first ever spectrum auction since 2001.
1. His firm Paul Usoro & Co., is one of the best paying firms with lawyers fresh out of law school earning 150,000 Naira Monthly.
2. He has been on the board of Airtel, for over 18 years and has been the longest serving member.
3. Mr. Usoro drafted the Nigerian Communications Act 2003, a robust and enduring piece if legislation that regulates the communications industry till date.
4. Mr Usoro the founding chairman of the Communication Committee of the Nigerian Bar Association’s Section on Business Law.
5. Mr. Usoro was called to the Bar in 1982 and started his practise in Kaduna. He was also elevated to the Inner Bar as a Senior Advocate of Nigeria in 2003
6. Paul represented the Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Governor Udom Gabriel Emmanuel and his political party in about 35 pre-election lawsuits from 2015, particularly at the Governorship and National Assembly levels. All the cases were successfully defended by Paul and his Team. Not a single one of those matters was lost at any of the Courts.
7. Paul played a crucial and leading role in the team that represented a France-based multinational oil servicing company in a landmark litigation against a Nigerian company for the recovery of judgment sums of US$11,628,962.11; US$5,214,939.98; DM212,252,751.11; N26,349,753.61 and US$7,157,865.87. The judgment delivered by the Court of Appeal in the second quarter of 2015 has become a locusclassicus in Nigerian jurisprudence on the principles of subrogation of one party for another for purposes of realizing a judgment debt.
8. Paul led the Airtel Shareholders Committee in negotiating the Celtel Transaction as the Committee Chairman, which, at the time, ranked as one of the biggest private sector equity transactions in Nigeria’s history.
9. Paul is an active member of the NBA Legal Profession Regulation Review Committee set up in 2016.
10. Paul Usoro, SAN, a devoted and loving husband and father, is married to Mfon Ekong Usoro and they are blessed with two children, one of whom is a legal practitioner, a member of the NBA and of the New York Bar
11. He has also worked with the National Assembly in producing the Nigeria Communication Act, 2003. Mr. Usoro has been a Non-Executive Director of PZ Cussons Nigeria Plc since July 15, 2011.
12. He has been a Non-Executive Director at Access Bank Plc since January 2014. He serves on the boards of Nigeria Bulk Electricity Traders Plc, Marina Securities Limited and Premium Pensions Limited.
13. He also previously represented Access Bank as Non-Executive Director on the Board of Intercontinental Bank in October 2011 following the Bank’s acquisition of the Intercontinental Bank Group. He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
14. He was called to Nigerian Bar in 1982. Mr. Usoro holds a Bachelors of Law Degree from the prestigious Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-Ife in 1981
is a legal practitioner, website developer and ICT Consultant.