- Job Type Full Time
- Qualification : LLB, BL LLM or PhD/Fellowship
- Experience 10 – 12 years
- Location OPEC Headquarters
- Job Field Law / Legal
Scope of Work
- Within the OPEC Secretariat, the Legal Office contributes to the conduct of the affairs of the Organization by promoting the rule of law within the Organization and in its relation with Governments, organizations, enterprises and individuals and by maintaining and defending the legal claims and interest of the Organization.
- The Office participates in the drafting and negotiations of contracts and agreements with external entities.
- It provides legal support and proposes amendments in respect of the Organization’s organs, statutes and programs as well as of financial and staff regulations.
- It monitors developments of relevant legal aspects pertaining to the energy sector, nationally and internationally, conducts research and publishes up to date legal articles on recent and emergent trends.
- It protects and advances the interests of the Organization and its Member Countries in international forums.
Objective of Position
- The General Legal Counsel is to plan, organize, coordinate, manage and evaluate the work of the Legal Office in accordance with the work programme and budget so as to optimize its support to the Secretariat in achieving its overall objectives. He/she also provides legal advice and expertise on matters relating to OPEC and its Member Countries as arise from relevant international and national fora and developments. Furthermore, he/she provides legal advice and support regarding the Secretariat’s Statute and Staff and Financial Regulations as well as other internal legal issues and protects and advances the interests of OPEC and its Member Countries at international forums.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates, manages and evaluates the work in the Legal Office by providing legal advice on:
- All pertinent legal developments in the global petroleum industry;
- Matters relating to and arising from various international forums in particular the implications of developments in the legislation, judicial decision, arbitration awards, agreements and treaties of the WTO, UNCTAD, UNFCCC, UNCSD, ECT and national policies and actions on the Member Countries;
- Internal legal issues, including reviewing contracts as well as the application of the Staff and Financial Regulations, recommending amendments where necessary;
- Statutes of OPEC, suggesting amendments, as necessary, to the Statutes of the Organization or the Economic Commission Board (ECB), in accordance with the Resolutions of the Conference;
- Recommends a programme on legal research suggesting new policies and resolutions, and carrying out special legal studies on particular aspects of the energy industry as well as international developments, with a view to ascertaining how best the interest of the Organization and Member Countries may be served;
- Ensures full responses to requests by the Conference, Board of Governors, ECB and standing committees for studies and special reports relevant to the work program of the Office;
- Develops and maintains networks with external experts and institutions in fields relating to the work of the Office;
- Keeps the Secretary General fully informed on all aspects of the work of the Office, and draws his attention to important analyses performed by it;
- Evaluates the performance of the staff of the Office and recommends to the Secretary General of staff development, salary increase, promotion and separations as appropriate;
- Ensures that the staff of the Office receives the supervision and guidance necessary to broaden and deepen their skills and continuously improve their performance;
- Prepares the annual budget for the Office.
Required Competencies and Qualifications
- University degree in Law, Masters in International Law
- PhD preferred
- Certified Lawyer
- Advanced degree: 12 years in positions directly related to legal aspects of the international oil industry with a minimum of 4 years in a managerial position, preferably at large national, regional, or international institutions
- PhD: 10 years
- International law – a combination of two or more of the following specializations is preferred:
- International energy law and policy
- International and comparative petroleum law and policy
- International competition law and policy
- International trade law
- International economic law
- International environmental law and policy
- International law on foreign investment
- Professional Management & Leadership
- Managerial & leadership skills
- Communication skills
- Analytical skills
- Presentation skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Customer service orientation
- Team-building skills
- Applicants must be nationals of Member Countries of OPEC and should not be older than 58 years.
Status and Benefits
- Members of the Secretariat are international employees whose responsibilities are not national but exclusively international. In carrying out their functions they have to demonstrate the personal qualities expected of international employees such as integrity, independence and impartiality.
- The post is at grade B reporting to the Secretary General.
- The compensation package, including expatriate benefits, is commensurate with the level of the post.
Applicants are requested to fill in a résumé and an application form which can be received from their Country’s Governor for OPEC. In order for applications to be considered, they must reach the OPEC Secretariat through the relevant Governor
Clicke Here For More Information